Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Metro Manila Street Food: How Many Sticks of Fried Isaw Can You Eat?

Filipinos love to cook and eat. Just by roaming around the Philippine Metropolis you would see various kinds of Filipino food.

Just a month ago I was introduced to a new dish. Well not that new, it’s actually an antiquated cuisine that I usually ignore every time I see them. It’s the food people of the next level echelon of socialites abhor (I guess).

Yes, the street foods, fried Isaw to be specific, a Pork intestine coated with cream (just egg and starch) on a quarter-foot-long bamboo skewer deep fried in used oil.

I used to frown upon those people who mob around that small wagon that sells isaw, not until last month.

My wife loves street foods and just a month ago she found this place in Buendia, Pasay, near Taft Avenue, while on here way home from work. A bunch of small customized wagons attached with a small cauldron filled with used oil frying isaw.

She tried some and sad to say she loves them and now wants me to try it.

So the following week after I fetched her from work as promised we dropped by the area.

And there we were. I was never hesitant either, it smelled good so I tried one and I swear it tasted good. This is the food I thought would taste like how I look at it but now it’s different.

I didn’t even realize that I’m on my fourth stick of fried isaw. What made it tasted better was the dip, a jar filled with vinegar with chopped onions and chili (and Hepa if you’re lucky enough).

Customers who ate around dip their fried isaw in that jar, (a common dip for all… yummy!).  Just eat until you are satisfied and pay Php5.00 ($0.11) per stick, just count how many sticks of isaw you ate. Yes I like it (Thumbs up).

So I was stuffed with pork intestines and later that night I was waiting for diarrhea to attack (but I didn’t happen).

I woke up the following day looked at the mirror to see if I have mutated into a new species but none, I’m still normal. I didn’t feel anything different, as if I had a normal dinner the night before.

Maybe it was just my mind telling me before that they don’t taste good. Now every time I fetch my wife from work we always drop by to eat fried isaw. Thanks to her for introducing me to a new taste. : - )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Places (3) Food (1) People (1) Vacation (1)

Certifications

oDesk Certified oDesk Contractor